Tuesday, October 9, 2012

We Do!

About 9 days ago, Nick and I both said, "I do!"  It was a whirlwind leading up to the wedding and for the week after, but we are now on a remote island in Thailand and have time to breathe.  I know people will give me crap for updating a blog while on my honeymoon. But we get back this weekend and I have to be in Minneapolis on Monday, then a wedding next weekend, back to Minneapolis, then an offsite in Palm Springs for work, then another wedding, then back to Minneapolis for two weeks, then Ironman Arizona (to cheer, of course) and by then Turkey Day will have arrived.  So yes, excuse me for updating my blog while on my honeymoon.  My lovely husband is sitting right next to me as I do this (how great that sounds...).

The wedding was amazing.  Everyone said it would go by fast, which it did.  But I'd like to say I was pretty calm and collected for all of Saturday.  Thursday and Friday were a little stressful.  But wedding day was nearly perfect.  And, the parts that weren't perfect, others didn't notice anyway.  The imperfections were related to the staff, which I can't do anything about (other than we didn't give them their tips). 

On Thursday, we hosted a BBQ for all our friends and family that arrived early.  I also had some wonderful friends come in and help do lots of last minute preparations.  Friday was Nick's birthday.  Sadly, he did not want a groom's cake.  But I just couldn't help myself.  So I used his birthday as an excuse to get him what could easily be considered a groom's cake and had it delivered by some friends to the restaurant earlier that day.  There's a whole backstory behind this cake that I won't get into (missing ice packs, 90 degree weather, stuck in a trunk, etc.).  Therefore, getting this cake from the baker in San Jose to the rehearsal dinner restaurant in Dublin without Nick finding out AND without it melting was by far the most stressful part of the entire weekend.  And, yet it had nothing to do with the wedding.  Go figure.  Thankfully, it did not melt and it turned out awesome.

Of course, bicycles were an underlying theme to the wedding.  Our Save the Dates were a balloon with a vintage bicycle.  

Our invitations and RSVPs had bicycles.  Many of our guests "creative" replies included cute notes or pictures or poems about swimming, biking, or running.  

Our table numbers were various bike routes we had ridden.  
I searched for a cake topper that wasn't something I'd never use again (such as a cake topper).  Someone at the bicycle company where I am consulting suggested an ornament.  Genius!  It took a while to find one that wasn't chintzy, but I finally did and it's something we can keep and actually use every Christmas now.
Our guestbook also had a bicycle on it. I couldn't find a design that wasn't a tandem bike, but it's still cute anyway.
 
The only thing we didn't have was an actual bicycle.  I figured there was no way I was going to get on one in my dress, so why bother. :)

I was a little surprised at how many people asked us why we used bicycles as a theme.  Well....we like riding bikes.  And we like wine.  So we had a bicycle themed wedding at a winery.  Seems to make perfect sense to us.


1 comment:

  1. How cute were your save the dates?! I can't wait to see all the pictures. Glad you're enjoying Thailand!

    ReplyDelete