Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Homeostasis

Homeostasis:  The ability of the body or a cell to seek and maintain a condition of equilibrium or stability within its internal environment when dealing with external changes


In laymen's terms, it's about staying the same.  It's about how organisms regulate their internal conditions, in order to stabilize health and functioning.  It's why fish move to the bottom of the pond when the top is frozen (since they can't regulate their body temperature). It's why humans smoke or drink or overeat in response to stress.  We're doing what we can to "stay the same" and reach stability (whether perceived or not).


Carbs, sugar, sodium -- these are bad words to me.  Of course, I have been educated that our bodies need these things in moderate amounts. But for the majority of Americans out there, I would guess that not too many of us can eat a bowl of pasta without feeling guilty.  


I never thought I'd see the day where my body started talking to me rather than my head or mind.  But, it is talking to me, and it's asking for all those "bad words" foods.  It didn't take very long to realize those bad words are now absolutely necessary for replenishment.

  • Carbs
    • Noodles - I assumed I would crave pasta once I started training heavily.  But, it's pretty rare I want pasta/Italian food (GASP!).  However, I do eat a lot of pad see ew and ramen tonkatsu
    • Rice - with curry
  • Salt - Probably why I've got a hankering for ramen, since the broth replenishes my sodium loss.
  • Sugar - While I have always enjoyed ice cream and treats, I wouldn't exactly characterize myself as a sweet tooth.  After a long bike ride on a really hot day, I remember being in a fog and couldn't think straight. And, then someone handed me a Coke.  I drank half of it and I'm pretty sure if my body had a voice, it would have yelled, "You're a goddess!"  On weekend evenings after long trainings, I find myself scrounging through my cupboards or the fridge for anything that remotely resembles sugar -- an apple, a Fruit Chiller, dark chocolate, a yogurt....
  • Protein - Chicken, salmon, halibut, and shrimp.  I go through more bags of shrimp than I'd like to admit.     
  • Calories - My teammates want to eat In-N-Out after workouts.  I'm not anti-hamburger, and I love In-N-Out, but it's at the bottom of my list after 7 hours of training.  However, I could eat a sandwich from Mr. Pickles every day if I had the opportunity.  Or burritos. 
Now if only I could find a scientific reason to justify why I want avocado on almost everything!   

No comments:

Post a Comment