Thursday, December 29, 2011

Dreamcatchers and Resolutions

On Wednesday, I met with Coach Dave to talk about what we're going to work on for the next 7 months or so.  I enjoyed my time off since IMAZ.  I did not overindulge, but I ate without guilt.  I did some activity, but not much. And I did not feel guilt or angst or bad for lack of workouts.  This guilt-free 5 weeks is quite a large mental accomplishment.  For too many years to even know, I have carried guilt in one way or another every single day about skipping the gym, or eating too much, or not eating enough, or not working out long enough (or hard enough or fast enough), or not getting all my training sessions in, or not getting enough vegetables in, etc.  No matter how well I ate, or what physical activity I did, or if any pounds were lost, there was still always something to feel guilty about.  You'd think I was programmed for guilt and went to parochial school and mass every Sunday.  But I didn't (at least I don't feel guilty about that).  


My company set me up with Nicole, a career coach, last year, to help me address a similar issue at work.  We worked on how I shouldn't feel bad about things I don't want to do or am not excited about learning, even when my coworkers are.  About how I can't do everything.  About learning to say no/not now.  She taught me that it's like building a muscle and I get better and better at it, the more I practice.  I'm doing pretty well with those techniques I learned.  But, I haven't been able to apply that muscle to my personal life.  


After my session with Coach Dave, I thought about how great the last month felt from a state of mind -- To do or not to do, and not feel guilty about my choices.  What a concept.  And, I appreciate what a great guy he is for rolling with my lack of doing.  "How does your swim feel?"  "I haven't been in the water since Ironman." *smile* "OK, we'll get some pool workouts on the calendar soon." 


Two years ago, if I would ever get in a funk, I knew it was my body's way of telling me to get to the gym. All that endorphin-releasing/serotonin secreting stuff is true.  Luckily, I never got that funk this past month, but I do know my body is ready to start moving again  on a regular basis.  And after Wednesday's meeting, my head is finally ready, too.  I actually got excited to start training again.  I'm looking forward to local events like Tierra Bella, my first duathlon, and maybe the Primavera ride.  I think the reason I got excited is because Coach Dave is just so animated talking about all the events.  His energy is contagious.  


Dave works full-time, yet still finds the time to run trails, ride a mountain bikes, compete in races, and coach on the side.  He gives his time to TNT as a coach for the cross-country ski team and will also be coaching a TNT Tri team this spring.  His passion for coaching got him to finally start Dreamcatcher Fitness, in addition to all the other stuff he does.  He's done most of the local races, knows a lot of people, and has a lot of gadgets in that garage of his.  Any ailment, injury, setback you have, he can find an alternative route.  I'm glad I jumped on the opportunity to work with him for those last 3 months of training for Ironman and I look forward to his excitement, advice, and contagious energy over the next 7 months.  I can't say enough good things about him.  He also really likes bacon and thinks gluten is the devil. =) If you're looking for some individual attention and a training plan geared just to you and your schedule, he can help you meet you goals or catch your dream. (And, no, he doesn't know I'm writing this).  


So as the new year approaches and everyone starts working on resolutions (despite that you can make a resolution any day of the year), I know one of mine will be something about weaning off the guilt trips.  About being ok with what I eat or don't eat.  About appreciating that a 30 minute workout in a hotel gym is better than none at all.  About celebrating clothes that fit better even if the scale moves up.  About knowing that despite how much training I missed last year, I still put in a lot of time in the pain cave.  I did enough.  I met my goal and crossed the finish line.  And, with the help of Coach Dave, I will continue to grow, mentally and physically, and meet more goals this year.  

1 comment:

  1. "About celebrating clothes that fit better even if the scale moves up." - LOVE THIS.

    ReplyDelete