Monday, December 12, 2011

This Little Piggy Hung On For Dear Life

**If you're a podophobia, please skip this entry.

This was the surprise I found one hour after finishing Ironman.  I had no idea there was an even an issue because it did not hurt during the run.  The picture actually looks harmless.  But, it's a blister under the entire toenail, including the front.   

I kept it bandaged for a few days.  After I took the bandage/compression off, all the blood pooled into it and began to look nasty. 

A few days later, it started to lift.  For the past 21 days, I have woken up every morning wondering if my toenail was still there. If something felt funny in my shoe, I would quickly take my foot out and make sure it was intact.  When I came home from work, I was afraid to take my shoes off, thinking I would find a missing toenail.  This morning, when I kicked my slipper off, it must have caught at just the right spot and I had to say goodbye to my first (and hopefully last) lost toenail.  

I know a lot of runners feel it's a badge of honor to lose a toenail.  There are some crazies out there that have permanently removed their toenails for this very problem.  However, I am not a "runner" and I like my feet.  Therefore, I'm not exactly happy about this development.  I'm just grateful it happened during the winter months and not when I'm sporting flip flops and cute sandals every day.    


1 comment:

  1. Ha! I've got 2 essentially that are gone and it doesn't stop me from daily flip-flop wearing :) I am really anxious for it to heal up enough to get a pedicure though!

    ReplyDelete