Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Taking Endurance to a Whole New Level

Today, I need to introduce the five people that read this blog to Chris.  He's a fellow AKPsi'er, and has been hiking the Appalachian Trail for the past 4 months.  I was reading his latest post and these girl scouts told him he was amazing.  A lot of people think doing an Ironman is a great accomplishment.  I won't deny that.  But what about hiking 2184 miles from Georgia to Maine?  Now THAT is effing amazing! 

He's been on the trail for over 4 months, his new nickname is Tarzan, and he has less than 300 miles to go.  Imagine hiking almost a marathon every single day!  And having to bring 6000 calories and your shelter with you on your back.  No volunteers to hand you water bottles.  Although, through his posts I've learned about "trail magic" where locals or day-hikers leave food, beer, and soda for the thru-hikers.  He doesn't have Special Needs, but he does have designated places where he replenishes supplies with the help of his family and friends.  The DNF rate is 75%.  Only 1 in 4 will finish.

If you aren't familiar with the route, here's his introductory entry about the Trail.


Pretty darn amazing, huh?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that IS cool!! Something for you & Nick's bucket list? I remember a couple of my favorite employees once asking me for 6 months off. My 1st reaction was WTF, I'm running a business here. Then they laid out their plan to do the Pacific Crest Trail. I was amazed that someone would take that on; and rather quickly became a fan of their adventure. Jim and Val completed their trip and have memories for a lifetime - very cool.

    xoxo
    Dad

    ReplyDelete