Sunday, December 26, 2010

Missing Workouts

Our training schedule includes training six days a week.  In the seven weeks that I've been training, I think only one week have I ever completed all six days of workouts.  And, even at that, I didn't complete the double workout, which calls for swimming in the morning and then spinning in the evening.  So I guess I can't even claim I've ever successfully managed to complete the prescribed workout for the week.  One thing we are always reminded of is that we can't make up workouts.  We need to accept that we didn't make it, and move on.  The program is designed a certain way and trying to "make up" workouts will most likely cause more harm than good.  

Last Wednesday, we were supposed to do a track work out and I missed it.  However, on Christmas Eve and Christmas we had the days off from training and I was able to make up my missed workout for probably the only opportunity of the entire season.  Of course, this morning is a bike ride and I'm sitting here instead.  But, honestly, I'm ok with that.

This is a new concept for me.  I'm not a skinny girl and, in the past, missing workouts generally meant carrying guilt.  However, signing up for this team has done a great thing for me because it has shifted my priorities and focus.  All that I care about now is preparing myself to finish within the cutoff times.   With my demanding work schedule these days and my traveling every other week, I'm going to miss workouts.  Period.  But, I trust in this program and I'm comfortable that I will be prepared to finish Aquabike in July and the Full IM in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment