Friday, January 7, 2011

Officially Overwhelmed

I've reached the point where I am officially overwhelmed.  I should caveat this statement that even if I wasn't training for an IM, I would be overwhelmed with work demands alone.  So much of my life has been inappropriately self directed by putting other people's needs before mine, and over the past 4 years, I have really had to re-learn how to take care of myself first.  However, I am really struggling right now in juggling priorities.  Is work more important than training?  I truly can't answer that question.  Ninety-nine percent of us will agree that we need to work, in order to live the lives we want.  Of course, how much we work is a different story.  But, at the end of the day, I am the most important person in my life and I am trying to do something extremely selfish.  So does that put training above work?  


While the amount of work I have right now is an anomaly, I truly can't get past it.  If I could just tell myself that "it's ok" and this is just four weeks that will be tough, I could let it go.  Unfortunately, I just haven't been able to admit that.  Instead, I OBSESS with the workouts that I am missing because I'm still sitting in meetings and conference calls at 7pm at night.  I know that, in the end, everything will work itself out, but right now, I just can't think that way. And, I know that if I don't fix it soon, I'm going to have a meltdown (even more so than I have in the past 3 days!).

2 comments:

  1. Jessica - you describe the struggle well and I am happy that you KNOW that it will all work out even though you might not feel it or trust it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, I am so proud of you I could cry. I'll cry with you, I'll cry for you, I'll just cry. I cannot tell you how much you inspire me. I love you sister!

    ReplyDelete