Friday, January 28, 2011

Perspective

A few weeks ago, we had a sprint tri as one of our workouts.  I completed a few sprint tri's this past summer so I wasn't nervous about my abilities.  Later that afternoon, it hit me like a brick, "Jessica, you just did a tri this morning!" and yet it didn't even phase me.  I thought about how much life and the perception of distance has changed since deciding to sign up for this race.


Our workout tomorrow is supposed to be an "On Your Own" Run.  I hadn't made plans yet, since there are so many beautiful places to run by my house.  I figured I would just work it out tomorrow.  But, last night my boyfriend called and asked if I wanted to run a 10K tomorrow morning because some friends were signing up.  Without really any thought or hesitation, the answer was "OK."  


So I started to pack my run stuff and was laughing at how ridiculous that 30 second conversation would sound to Jessica Hill prior to 2011.  Up until 2 months ago, I had never run more than a 10K.  I methodically planned signing up for that one and was nervous about doing it.  Yet, tomorrow I'm just going to show up and register onsite.  


In October, I was in a hotel gym and didn't have a whole lot of time for a workout.  I ran 2.5 miles and called it a day.  Afterward, I was feeling guilty for only getting such a short workout in. And, then I thought about how two years ago, I couldn't even run a single mile.  


I've learned that any time I get frustrated that I'm not going far enough or fast enough I just need to remind myself of who I was a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment