Monday, February 4, 2013

What I Didn't Miss

Successfully completed my first week of official training.  I made it back to the pool for the first time in 8 months and made it to a coached track workout (any track workouts I did before were on my own and never with coaches).  I found some new ab and arm muscles thanks to Saturday's core workout.  Unfortunately, we didn't get on our bikes this week as some of the teammates don't have bikes yet, but I did get on the bike trainer on my own.  

This past week, I was reminded of a few things I didn't miss such as having to do more laundry and having tech tees and bike shorts and bathing suits hanging out to dry around the house.  But the main thing I begrudged was all the extra showering.  Don't get me wrong...I like to shower.  But there is no, "I'm going to take a quick shower" option for me.  The shower, itself, is fast.  But the post-shower business is a time suck.  If you didn't know already, I am part lizard.  The dermatologist has reminded me several times that I cannot use lotion in a pump and only the stuff that you can "scoop" is good enough for me.  Therefore, there is no way I can take a shower without then taking the time to dump my hand in a bin of Cetaphil and slather away.  I can't even think about not moisturizing my feet or they will be sure to punish me when they start cracking the next day. And, of course, we have to stay young, so there is the toning, serum, anti-wrinkle, moisturizer, eye cream ritual that must occur (although I guess that would be happening anyway with nightly ablutions).  But, even worse than the whole lotion routine is dealing with the hair -- the detangling, combing, anti-frizz, brushing, routine.  You're not supposed to wash your hair every day.  Let alone twice a day.  I am very aware that working out in the morning would be an easy solution to this issue.  Not only am I a night owl, but being back on a team environment equals evening workouts.

But, I suppose I can handle dry skin and messy dry hair in exchange for helping fight cancer. 




No comments:

Post a Comment