Friday, September 9, 2011

It's Not a Selling Point

I have to pick on a very good friend of mine.  She commented on a Facebook photo yesterday and said, "Impressive group, two Ironmans and a soon-to-be-Ironman."  I know her comment is a compliment.  However, it pointed out EXACTLY why I am sensitive to touting all this training business.  It's why I didn't talk to my work about it for a very long time.  And, if I wasn't fundraising, I'm not sure how much I would have been blogging or posting sweaty pictures on Facebook (true fact: every time I posted pictures I received another donation!).  Ironman does not define you.  As another friend said, "If I let Ironman define me, I'd be living in a sad world of defeat."  It is an event in your life.  One that you worked really really hard for.  It's a proud moment and something to cherish forever.  But after it is over, every person that crosses that finish line still has the same personality, the same behavior, the same baggage, and the same laugh they had before they started the journey. 


And, sadly, if you are a single female, it is definitely not a selling point.  Men are intimidated by it or feel inadequate even though you'll be hard-pressed to find one that admits it (although Emily says every guy she talked to on eHarmony did donate to her TNT page).  Sure the ones that compete in triathlons themselves might find it attractive.  But, if only 1% of the population does an Ironman and 75% of the competitors are men and maybe 50% of those are actually available (probably even less), then you are looking at impressing a whopping .375% of the total population!   If I was on the market, I'd be keeping that fact to myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment