Monday, September 12, 2011

Resolve

I've got a couple of things on my mind....


1.  Swimmer's Itch.  I did an hour open water swim yesterday morning.  And, by nightfall the itching began again.  This would be a perfect time to say, "FML," but I find that website straight up depressing.  For the record, I did rinse after yesterday's swim unlike last month when it was a race.  So I am pretty surprised it happened again.  I don't have as many welts as I did last time, but these are more like the size of a silver dollar rather than a quarter.  Not fun.  I guess I'll be sticking to the pool for the next month until the lake water goes back to normal.  


2.  Work wants me in LA for five weeks in a row.  Here is another time to say, "FML" but in the big picture I have a good life so why would I want to say that?  My suitcase is packed with an Aqua Jogger (since this foot injury has decided to taunt me and stick around), a swim tether (oh how I can't wait to swim in one place as if I'm on a treadmill), and a TRX.  My coach said this will be a big test of my resolve.  It's going to be boring as hell and I'm just going to have to figure out a way to push through it.  Originally, his plan is that I do one big workout during the week and one on the weekend.  However, with this new travel schedule, it means I will have to do back to back long workouts on the weekend. 


3.  Speaking of long workouts, I am registered for my first half marathon this weekend.  It's a Mt. Diablo trail run with 4000 ft of elevation, which means I will be fast-walking a lot of it.  I am a pretty conservative person yet I made some crazy-ass decision to train for an IM without ever having done an Olympic and now I am doing my first half marathon and it's nearly a mile high.  This is just dumb.  But, my coach is really into trail running to improve running fitness.  There is a 10 mile option as well.  We discussed that if my foot is being jammed by a fire poker on Saturday, then I will drop to the 10 miler during the event, which would still be a WIN for me.  I know I will be in general post-workout pain on Sunday from the run/hike, in addition to the foot pain.  But, I am preparing myself for the ice, the Rock Tape, the night sock, the Merrells as the only form of shoe that doesn't aggravate it, and the slippers I have to wear in the house because I can't be barefoot.   


And, that's my mouthful for the day.  I'm sure my next post will be something about how boring the water jogging or swimming in one place is.  I've already started thinking about which of my friends in LA, I can convince into coming to "hang out" with me on the pool deck so I can at least talk to someone while I'm running under water. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment