Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Feed Me Seymour

I find it difficult to eat after a long ride.  I burned nearly 5000 calories on Saturday, but could barely eat afterward.  Our awesome volunteers ordered Zachary's, and had pizza waiting for us.  I ate a little bit, but couldn't stomach much.  Plus, from not being able to get enough liquids in me that day, I felt like it was cardboard. 

A couple hours later, I was finally ready to eat.  I ate maybe a third of my dinner.  Just couldn't process anything else.  

However, Sunday, was a different story.  I woke up starving.  I had my breakfast and we went for a swim at Del Valle.  I felt like a log, but it was extremely therapeutic.  The cold water felt so good on my overheating body.  I was thinking about how I just had to keep going despite how crappy my swim felt --> which made me think I would be feeling the same way during the race --> which immediately put a knot in my stomach --> which got me thinking about how the swim causes so much anxiety, yet it is the shortest part of the day --> which I then reminded myself that any minutes you lose in the swim you can generally make up with a faster transition --> which means it is super silly to have any anxiety over the swim!  But, I digress...back to food.  After the swim, I snacked on a banana and drank the chocolate milk I was supposed to have as my recovery drink on Saturday.

By 11:30, it was time to eat again.  I downed some Tom Yum soup, a veggie spring roll, and some yellow curry with brown rice.  By 2:30, I thought I was going to eat my arm and finished the rest of my lunch.  And, by 5pm I was  eating this amazing turkey for my sister's birthday that had been in the smoker since 5am that morning.  Turkey, some potatoes, and two helpings of salad loaded with avocado.  I figured I was set for the day.  But around 8pm, I stopped by my mom's house (to visit and not to eat).  But then I was hungry again.  She had leftover BBQ pork chops still sitting on the counter.  So I ate some of that, too!   


Awhile ago I made a comment about after Ironman and Nick asked, "Do you honestly think you eat more now than you did before?"  I had to think about it.  And the answer is not really (which is why I was probably over-caloried for the past few years and am now under-caloried according to several nutrition plans).  But the major difference between last year and this year is that when it's time to eat, I must eat.  Right.  Now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment