Monday, October 17, 2011

Slow Twitch



Yesterday, was our triple brick workout for the IMAZ crew.  I've heard that triple brick is more of an old school IM training event and not too many plans have it in their calendar anymore.  Although it may not be necessary, there is definitely a benefit from the mental toughness, pacing, and patience point of view.  So we asked to put one on the calendar and since this is such a big training day, we coordinated doing our workouts together so we could recruit a bunch of volunteers to help us out (who were absolutely phenomenal).  


Wearing the Ironteam jersey since I knew many
teammates would be joining us for the special occasion.
The route we picked is just under a 30 mile loop that has some long steady inclines, but no pitchy climbs, and a good amount of headwind in the afternoon.  I rode most of the first loop by myself.  I was working harder than I was supposed to, but I attributed that to needing to warm up.  On the downhill coming back, there was a radar speed limit sign on the road that clocked me at 29mph.  I decided I would use that as my barometer for the day.


Since I need to maintain a 17 min mile for walking in Arizona, I practiced my walk for the next hour and managed to maintain a walk speed under that.  


Sedonia rode the second loop with me.  I have found it a real treat to ride with people that aren't training for a specific event because they ride at my pace since they don't need to be worrying about their own training.  My training plan was to ride this loop faster than the first (higher heart rate) and I felt pretty good.  The only problem was I just couldn't hydrate enough.  I did go faster, but the headwinds had picked up so it took me an extra 3 minutes to get back.  This time, the radar sign on the downhill had me at 24mph.  


I was making it a point to really work on my nutrition again and was feeling good.  Starting the second run, I was hungry, which means I didn't take in enough that round, so I took half a PB&J sandwich with me.  
With a mouthful


For the the last loop, I was lucky enough to have Kristie and Dana come ride with me.  


Surprisingly, I felt really good going out on this loop as well.  I still had trouble hydrating.  I had finished all my water at mile 15.  I still had some of my energy drink left, but, in general, I just couldn't get enough liquids in me.  All I kept thinking about on the 3rd loop was the wind I was going to have to deal with.  This time my self-proclaimed barometer had me at 19mph.  I pedaled just as hard all three times in that same stretch, but that wind took 10mph off on a downhill!  This loop took me 20 minutes longer than the first. 


When we rolled back to the park, there was even a guest appearance from Coach Dave and his wife, Norma.  I told him I wanted to run the last leg.  He recommended a run/walk plan that worked out really well.  


The whole day ended up taking 9.5 hours.  I was hot, overheated, dehydrated, had to take an ice bath, and am still feeling the effects of 90 miles in the saddle "down under," but I was positive.  When Tammy asked why I was so cheery during the 3rd run, I said, "because it's almost over."  And, if I had to, I could have gone out and ridden that loop again.  This weekend, was proof that while I finished 30 minutes after the others, my endurance is there.  If my race day is anything like both of my double and triple bricks have been this year, then that's a really good thing -- consistent, steady, and paced.  Slow twitch.  

1 comment: