Monday, March 4, 2013

Recomittment

This weekend was Recommitment for Team In Training.  Basically, you get 4 weeks from Kickoff to decide if you plan to stick with the Team and continue to raise funds for LLS.  You can drop at this point with essentially no financial commitment.  After the paperwork is signed, you are agreeing to continue to raise your minimum amount for LLS for the remainder of the season.  

I just got word on Friday that I will have to be going to Connecticut for 8 weeks straight (plus who knows how long after that).  It's 17 hours of flying time.  Plus add airport and travel on both ends.  I'm looking at losing an entire 24 hours every week to travel.  I'm not happy about it.  At all. I have to remind myself that a) I have a really good job and this was always a risk; and b) there are worse places I could be (like the middle of nowhere Kansas).  Needless to say, it screws up a lot of plans.  I was supposed to be in Hawaii (for work)  and even though I'm switching from one extreme end of the country to another, it's still a major bummer as I've been looking forward to this trip for awhile.  I probably also can't go to Wildflower Training Weekend.  The idea of camping and then swimming and riding and running that very challenging course isn't my cup of tea, yet I was still planning to do it.  And, my plans for Ironman 70.3 California at the end of March will also have to be changed.  Although I am just spectating and not racing, it was still sandwiched around some vacation and family time (Easter weekend), which will now be compromised. 

Am I recommitting?  Yes.  Because a long time ago, I learned about a guy that trained for 10 months for a full-distance Ironman on a Navy ship.  That means I can get cozy with the Farmington Marriott gym for an Olympic distance event (and grateful I had the foresight not to switch to the Long course distance when I was thinking about it).  

No comments:

Post a Comment