Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Ummm...Aren't You Supposed to be Training?

I haven't been posting much about training lately and there is a very good explanation for that.  I haven't been training.  Because I'm pregnant.

When I first found out, I did a lot of research on continuing to train and if I could "complete" and not "compete" in the triathlon I signed up for.  But I'll be six months along by then.  And, it probably isn't the best idea.  Not only will I not be able to fit in a wetsuit by that time (it's very cold water), but I have no idea how much balance will be affected on the bike with a baby bump.  And, more importantly, crashes are more likely during a race since there are so many cyclists maneuvering around each other.  

I still did what I could for awhile.  I rode my bike, but avoided the hills to keep my heart rate lower.  I power-walked and didn't run.  And, while I didn't make it to a pool very often, I swam when I could.  I didn't want to pull out of the race until I knew that I was out of the first trimester.  Nick is still racing the same event, and there is a 10k going on at the same time, which I'll be signing up for instead.

As for the pregnancy, it's been relatively symptomless.  Weeks 6-10 I was incredibly tired.  Beyond tired.  But I gained back a lot of my energy.  And, when I did have the energy to ride or jog/walk, it was also harder.  All the blood is going to your abdomen which means less blood to send to your legs.  

As for the team, I've just been trying to support where I can.  We always need volunteers so it's really easy for me to fill those roles -- marking the course, roving SAG, etc.  This weekend, was the team's "All You Can Tri" where you do as many sprints as you can in 4 hours.  I knew the water was warm enough to not have a wetsuit so I was happy to get a swim workout in.  I ended up hanging in the water for 2 hours as water support and helping some of the new swimmers complete their swims.  However, I now have a raging case of Swimmer's Itch and look like I have the chicken pox.  I'll spare you the pictures.  

By the way, I do rinse as soon as I get out of the water and even bring soap to the shower at the lake.  But, I read people who get Swimmer's Itch, keep on getting it.  Kind of like poison oak...you have to have the allergy to it.  Hence, why this is probably the 5th (and worst) case I've had. Unfortunately, several other people on the team got the itch as well this weekend so I'm in good company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment