Sunday, June 3, 2012

Healing the Heel

After several months of searching and waiting, I have finally started getting my foot, heel spurs, and plantar fascia treated.  A western doctor will say surgery is required.  However, most will agree there are many other alternatives to consider before surgery.  I heard about microcurrent.  It took awhile to find someone with the right machine, but I finally did.  I've had 3 treatments so far and I can honestly say that a lot of the pain that was plaguing me before, is very reduced and some days non-existent!  

Microcurrent is a faint electric current.  The frequency is so low that you do not feel a thing.  Unlike a TENS unit or ionthoperosis where you actually have a muscle spasm and feel the electricity running through your body, microcurrent is extremely relaxing and pleasant.  Microcurrent allows the electricity to penetrate the cells, whereas high frequency treatments have to go around the cells.  The treatment stimulates mitochondria to increase the production of ATP, which is your own chemical energy, protein synthesis, and waste product removal.  The ultimate goal is to break up the crap in there causing the pain.

The therapist puts on silver ion plated gloves that conduct electricity, uses a jelly very similar to an ultrasound machine, and very lightly massages the area needing attention.


Thirty minutes of microcurrent is equivalent to 4 hours of massage.  My legs are usually trashed a few hours after the treatment and into the next day.  But being able to run and not feel the pain in my foot is a great feeling.  Of course, my running is completely shot since I was in pain for so long and I was never able to build a proper base over the past 18 months.  But now that things are starting to feel better, I hope it will inspire me to finally build that base and any pain I feel will be in the muscles and heart and lungs getting stronger, as opposed to the pain from an inflamed tendon in my foot that renders me unable to bend my toes the way most people can.  

Back in the 80's microcurrent was first used to treat Bell's Palsy and stroke victims with lifting features of the face.  Then it turned into sports therapy and pain relief. Lance Armstrong and his entire team were treated with microcurrent therapy every night of the 7th Tour de France win.  Accident victims get treated with microcurrent to break down scar tissue.  And, now it's being used as a beauty treatment and being marketed as a non-surgical facelift.  Whatever its purpose, it works.  It is effective and it is permanent 60-80% of the time.  And, while not inexpensive, the cost is reasonable.  


No comments:

Post a Comment