Wednesday, June 20, 2012

QBP

Last week I started a new client engagement at Quality Bicycle Product in Minnesota.  A couple months back when my company first started talking to them, I had never heard of QBP.  I looked at the website and saw they are the largest bike distributor in the United States AND they distribute for practically every brand that I use.  They also have their own brand of bikes -- Salsa, Foundry, Civia, Surly and a few others.  Coach Dave told me that Sports Basement sources all their bike gear from QBP.  And, a few weeks ago when I walked into a local bike shop, there were 5 boxes from QBP being dropped off by UPS.  Law of attraction....


For those that were familiar with QBP, they all mentioned that how much people LOVE working for QBP.  They asked me to go there and see what the Koolaid is all about and report back.  Plus, I have been on a mission to prove to Kerry that there are some companies (that aren't small) and "get it."


My first impression is that there is crap everywhere.  But it's a good kind of crap!


Such as wheels lining the stairwells


Or displays like every Pearl Izumi bike and run shoe or these Lazer helmets

Random bikes all over the place.  I haven't figured out if these have any objective yet


And, bikes you can check out similar to a library system


I did take out a bike last night and rode for about 45 minutes.  It wasn't much of a workout as I was being shepherded by someone who was giving me the lay of the land.  But next week I will know where to go.  And, one of these days I will check out that Pugsley -- it's got a motor!


Some of the really great things about this place:

  • Couches and lounges
  • Beer.  Enough said.
  • Casual dress (like super casual dress)
    • Kind of weird to be talking to the CIO who is walking around in shorts, a tech tee, and flip flops
  • #1 most environmentally friendly company in Minnesota -- sustainable flooring, no exterior paint, no cups, compost bins, etc.
  • Anniversary celebration every month to recognize employees' annual anniversaries with QBP
  • "Fire Alarm Mondays"
    • Since Monday is their busiest day, other employees, including the CEO, are called in to the warehouse for 2 hour shifts to help pick orders!  Anyone working on the SAP implementation is currently exempt from having to participate, which I am supremely disappointed about. 
  • An air-conditioned warehouse with windows and skylights!  
    • This job has put me in plenty of warehouses over the years and most of them are hot as heck and smell like stinky armpit.  I was quite impressed with this endeavor of making it a pleasant environment
  • The value of "Make it Special for Everyone"
    • You want to put a mini art gallery in the place?  OK.
    • You want hopscotch outside the front door?  Sure, why not.
    • A four square court?  We can put one over there.
    • Basically, any idea you have within reason, is generally accounted for
  • Locker room with showers, towels, shampoo, soap, etc.  (Note: since not many women work there, every girl has her own dedicated locker).
  • The slogan -- Every Butt On a Bike
    • All the blueprints, specs, test plans, and training documents I am writing get to say "butt" on every page!
  • Furniture made of bike parts
    • Many of the tables and chairs are made of rims, cassettes, chains, and chain wheels, to create an artistic piece of furniture
  • Free lunch on Mondays if you bike to work
  • Lastly, the state of the art warehouse management system.  A computer is operating over 3 miles worth of conveyor belts popping things in and out of the right lanes and queues.  If you're a supply chain dork like me, this two minute video of their warehouse operations is pretty impressive.  
    • http://vimeo.com/32586384
Synopsis:  I'm not even an employee and I've already drunk the Koolaid.  

No comments:

Post a Comment