Tuesday, June 19, 2012

We Tried and it was Fun

Saturday was the kickoff of the 25th Annual Tri for Fun series.  I know I wrote about Tri For Fun last year.  It's a 4 month series every summer and a great introduction race.  People wear whatever they want and ride whatever they want in whatever kind of shoes they want.  Ages range from 6 to 86 and everything in between.  The race director joked that if anyone got lost on the run, to just "run around for 40 minutes and come back and we'll call it good."

I signed up for this event because two friends from high school said they wanted to do it.  They have been following my journey over the past year and it was going to be their first triathlon.  Unfortunately, Mike said he was dying in the pool after 4 laps and decided not to sign up.  However, BJ has been training for several months, so he came down from Folsom.  

And, Sedonia, who is tapering for IMCDA, was looking for a short workout.  She already needed to be in the area that day, and signed up.

We saw DJ Strawberry from 99.7.  It was also his first triathlon.  

Although we have no timing chips at Tri For Fun, I told myself I was actually going to race it this time.  To get uncomfortable.  My attitude toward training and events is focused toward accomplishment rather than breaking records.  Of course, I want to get faster.  And, with the exception of Lavaman, I do make an effort to work toward that goal, even if it doesn't happen.  

So, I raced.  Despite consciously going faster, I think my swim time was pretty similar (Sidenote: I swear, you race in the pool and your lungs pop out of your chest and you gain all of 3 seconds.  Totally not worth it in my mind!).  I saw BJ in T1 and he had a flat tire! :(  He was worried about it before the start because it didn't act normal when he was pumping them up.  By the time the swim was over, it was not holding any air.  I wanted to help and give him an extra tube, but mine are not compatible with his tire, so there was nothing I could do.  

I started the bike and pushed myself.  The wind was consistent and noticeable, but not bad.  My bike sensor got out of alignment so I was blind on cadence and speed.  Sedonia had suggested awhile back that maybe I should ride without it because sometimes it makes me negative.  Very true.  Not having a choice, I rode blind and rode for feel.  Something worked because I finished the bike faster than I ever have.  Although it's just a sprint distance and there's only one teeny tiny molehill, I averaged 18.9mph.  I typically ride at 14mph.  I was over the moon.  I also got my first "you kicked ass on that swim girl" shout out, which is really just code for, "hey I'm passing you on the bike."  But that's ok.  I'll take any encouragement I can get, even if it's passive aggressive.

And, the run, well you know how that goes.  I ran.  It was hot.  I was slow.  Mostly I just enjoyed the people watching that you can do while running.  Like listening to people complain about the "hills."  I wished I could have told them to go try trail running and then come back and tell me if this park really has any hills!  Coincidentally, when I crossed the finish line, the announcer said, "you weren't the only "hill" on that course today."  

Naturally, I told Nick I really shouldn't change my last name otherwise the announcer can't make that joke anymore.      


1 comment:

  1. The Tri for Funs are great - so glad you had a good day out there! :) And yes LOL at those "hills" on the course.

    ReplyDelete