Friday, March 4, 2011

A Different Kind of Training

I missed my workout on Wednesday due to a special work event, so last night I was planning to get my spin workout in.  “Planning” being the key word here.

As mentioned in my previous post, I got a new bike a few weeks ago.  I logged just under 1000 miles on an aluminum frame entry level bike with "chubby" road bike tires.  And, those chubby tires never failed me (which is a good thing because I have an irrational reaction to with getting my hands dirty)!  I knew that as soon as I upgraded my bike, I would start getting flats because the tires would be a lot thinner.  Lo and behold, with less than 50 miles on my new bike I got my first flat.  Of course, the irony in all this is that I got the flat because during bootcamp weekend, while we were out on a run, one of the captains deliberately deflated our tires so we could practice changing flats.  And, I am pretty sure that my flat came from that exercise because my idiotic self pinched the tube when re-inflating it, resulting in a perfect slit.  Being out of town for work last week and being gone last weekend, I didn’t realize until a few days ago that my tire was flat….like really flat….the tube had to be toast.  So last night, I actually changed the tube and even managed to get the rear wheel back on the bike.  Woo hoo!  Of course, it helped that I was sitting in my house and not on the side of the road.  Plus, I had a sink nearby to wash my hands.

However, between changing the flat, taking the bike in for a tune-up, getting new pedals, installing new cleats, and all the subsequent playing around of clipping in and out (switching from SPDs to Speedplays) to get it just right (which I'm still a little weary of), I never actually did my spin workout!  Oh well.  At least I can say I changed the tire by myself.  But, I'm still on the hunt for a bike pouch I like that will hold wet wipes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment