Friday, March 11, 2011

Oh I'm Just A Girl

Last year, I was enrolled in a program where we had to identify our values.  The objective of that exercise was to review those values on a daily basis and rate them on a scale from 1-10 with how well we "lived" those values that day.  What I would quickly discover is that on days where I had lots of 7s, 8s, 9s, and 10s, then I had a great day.  And when I had lots of 5s and 6s, it was no wonder why I felt in a funk that day.  

Much to my surprise (or maybe not to my surprise), I have an awful lot of high numbers since joining Ironteam.  It allows me to connect and network.  It helps me relate to people.  It supports health and well being.  It provides another outlet for accomplishment and achievement.  My good friends know I have this strange fascination/obsession with Princess Diana (I still have no idea where it came from other than she died on my 21st birthday).  I couldn't articulate the name of one of my values, so I called it Lady Di.  It's about femininity and dignity and beauty. 

Each day when I review my list, "Lady Di" is the one line item that makes me cringe.  Since I am only in the office 8 days a month, I am living the remaining 22 days of the month in workout clothes, pajamas, or clothes that could easily pass for pajamas.  My hair is either in a ponytail, or wet from the shower (and, what's the point in doing it, when it's just going to get sweaty again in 10 hours?).  Makeup?  Oh, how I miss thee!  Because putting on a full-face just means I have to remove the makeup in a few hours.  And, then there is my prized possession....those cute feet!  However, my poor feet are battered and bruised and have one angry toenail from all the running they have been subjected to as of late.  Not to mention that because I seem to be short on time these days, I have succumbed to giving myself pedicures rather than having someone else do it.       

So today I had enough!  I saw an opening at work and shut down my computer at 1pm.  I did my hair, I put on makeup, and I got a pedicure!  Today, Lady Di will be a 10.

1 comment:

  1. Jess, I love this post. :) Lady Di to the rescue! You look fabulous in the photo, don't know how you don't give yourself a 10 everyday!!

    ReplyDelete