Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bootcamp #2

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, this weekend was our second Bootcamp weekend.  Saturday was an open water swim (which I missed due to my little meltdown), spin, run, core, run, spin, run, core, and run.  And, Sunday was a long pool workout, bike ride up Mt. Diablo, and run, core, run, stretch that ended up just turning into a run and stretch (thank goodness)!


Sedonia trying to cheer me up by asking if I could smile without moving my nose.
Try it.  You'll laugh.

Then we were off on the run through the Presidio and Pacific Heights toward the Lyon St. stairs.  Talk about UP-hill!  The Physical Therapist has me on a 4/2 run/walk as I get my feet better.  But there were parts where I could just see the hill ahead and said, "screw it, I'm running until I get to the hill."  My heart rate was at 176 just WALKING some of those hills.  Anyway, up we go and then down and around again to the bottom of Lyon St. stairs where we have all kinds of "surprises" waiting for us like climbing the stairs and doing squats, coming down and doing planks, climbing two at a time and doing push ups and lunges, coming back down for bicycle crunches, and then hopping up the stairs again.  Unfortunately, my run on the way to the stairs was slow so I didn't make it to hopping part before it was time to run back to Sports Basement.

Waddling up the steps -- mind you there is a landing and
 then two other sets of these puppies to go up.

After another hour of spinning, it's time for a 20 minute run down to the "monkey bars" area for a core workout.  However, it was probably only half core-ing with a lot of playing thrown in.


Then it was time to go home, stretch, take an ice bath, shower, refuel with some Shabu Shabu and head to bed.

Sunday was a long pool workout.  I really enjoyed this workout, but I felt like a log.  I made a flippant remark about feeling like one and Tami said, "Well, you're supposed to.  That's the point."  OK, mission accomplished!  After the swim we were then reminded that there will be many times during our event that we will feel like crap and we just have to push through it.  We have training weekends like this so we know what that feels like. 
Me and Dana, my swim lane buddy, doing kick drills.
Dana and I swim very synchronously and are always side by side.

After the swim, it was time to ride up Mt. Diablo -- another mountain I am intimidated by, but it ended up being ok.  It rained most of the 10 miles to Diablo and, thankfully, the sun came out just as we started to ascend.  I probably only climbed about 1500ft before it was time to turn around.  The word to describe Diablo is "relentless" because there is no relief.  I was still a little emotional from the day before, had a minor fall (didn't get hurt), was physically taxing my body, and was looking at this breathtaking view, and again, just started crying (and then laughing that I was crying when I wasn't even sad).  

The sun came out as we started the climb and gave us this amazing view!
Descending Diablo

We capped off the day with an hour run.  I was only doing 2/2 run/walk since I was beat and trying to save myself for the second run we were going to have to do a little later.  The weather is getting colder and about 30 minutes in, it starts to HAIL!  We got soaked.  I also discovered that hail hurts more when you run vs. walk.  Maybe it was the weather, or maybe it was because he's just a nice guy, but after we got back from the first run Coach Mike said we could stretch.  No core workout.  No second run.  Yippee!  Another Bootcamp in the bank!




No comments:

Post a Comment