Monday, May 9, 2011

She's a (Double) Brick House

Our first big double brick of the season is done.  I wasn't sure how I would fare since I haven't ridden in three weeks due to vacation and work travel.  We headed up to Napa early early on Saturday morning and went for a 38 mile ride.  We did some climbing, and then we climbed some more, and then we went up Mt. Veeder and we climbed and we climbed and we climbed.  OK, so I guess it wasn't that bad, but when was it going to end????  And, the whole time I kept thinking, "I have to do this again?!?!"  The downhill was pretty crappy and I had to spend my time weaving in and out of any smooth road I could find, which really was non-existent.  It was bouncy and hurt my hands.  I was extra cautious since it was a technical descent, and when we got back to transition, I discovered two of the guys crashed into each other on that road and another one crashed on his own.  OUCH!

I felt good mentally and physically (sometimes I really surprise myself) and went off on the run.  I haven't ran in four weeks as I have been in PT for my left foot.  The therapist said my range of motion was getting better and I asked if I could try running so she put me on a 4/4 run/walk plan.  However, it hurt almost immediately (in fact, more than it ever has so that really is a bummer).  So I mostly "walked with purpose" and ran on my toes/balls of my feet when I could (which is probably good training for getting rid of a heel strike anyway).

Then it was time to do the rinse and repeat.  The first thing I noticed was how much my sit bones hurt.  Getting back on that saddle after not being on it for an hour sucked.  And, after about 5 miles in, I started to feel really demoralized by the wind.  I was slowly approaching a dark place and wondering how I was going to make it through the next three hours.  I had a little vent session with Tami (thank goodness I was riding with someone) and then it was like that bad spot never even happened.  I find it so interesting on the bike that every mile is different.  Your attitude can swing to opposite sides of the pendulum from mile to mile.  

When we got back, I was ready to go off on another 50 min run (shuffle/walk) again.  I stuck to my 4/4 plan and ran on my toes, so to speak, and felt ok.  Granted, I didn't cover that much distance in the second brick run, but I was just pretty happy with my attitude after 7.5 hours of training.

And, when I found out the others on the team (including the really strong riders) said it was a tough climb (let alone to do it twice), I just felt like singing....

She's a brick----house
Mighty mighty, just lettin' it all hang out
She's a brick----house
The lady's stacked and that's a fact,
ain't holding nothing back. 
  


 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you're stacked! And you are awesome. Not only on the bike each mile is different. In my life, each hour is different. Going to dark places, snapping out of them, climbing, descending... And it does feel good when others commiserate.

    All that said: I celebrate you! Your persistence and strength and you willingness to share. Thanks for sharing, Mighty one!

    ReplyDelete