Monday, May 2, 2011

What's A Triathlete?

Triathlon season has begun.  Events are popping up left and right and you can pretty much find an event to participate in every Saturday and Sunday for the next 4 months.  I have been struggling with the concept of what defines a triathlete. I sure as heck wouldn't consider myself one.  I have completed a couple of sprint tri's.  And, now I am training for this ridiculous test of mental and physical fortitude because I had some sort of spiritual/religious experience last summer.  But does that make me a triathlete?  I say no.  I've been pondering this question, but I couldn't articulate why I feel that way.  So I looked triathlete up in the dictionary and it says, "A competitor in a triathlon."  Well that hit the nail on the head.  I am not competitive.  I am not "racing."  I refer to that thing-that-is-happening-in-November as an "event" or as "IM".  I don't call it a "race."  It will be a race to many people.  The pros will race against each other.  The age-groupers will race against themselves.  But, the only thing I am racing against is that 17 hour clock!


I keep thinking about Julia Roberts in Notting Hill saying, "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her."  And, I'm just a girl that is not afraid of swimming, enjoys cycling (even though sometimes it makes me cry), and wants to get better at running.  Does that make me a triathlete?  I don't think so.  Perhaps it is because I haven't "competed" in a traditional Olympic distance "race" yet.  But, I guess since there is one practically every weekend for the next 16 weeks, I just need decide which one I should do.  

4 comments:

  1. We all race the clock and ourselves, but for those pros out front. If you've done a triathlon, you certainly are a triathlete :) It's a lifestyle! But yes there are plenty of fun local Olys if you want to give one a try - I really love IM training but i think Olys are my favorite distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok JHill - you ARE a Triathelete (or will be!). you ARE a competitor. you may not be competing against others - pros, age groups, racing, whatever. You are competing against your own physical abilities, your training, your body's "I'm tired" signals, your mental state. Give yourself credit for your training - physical and mental as you prepare for this event!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jess! I know why you wrote this and I love you! I think what you are doing is amazing, crazy and wonderful... but most of all, I think what you are doing is making Marilyn smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. couldn't have said it any better than Natalie. Keep it up buttercup. Am I going to beat you to the Olympic distance first? I had better not!! :)

    ReplyDelete