Thursday, June 9, 2011

Coach Nicole

Despite all the coaches I have through Ironteam, I also have one very special coach named Nicole. Last year, I started working with Nicole on a professional level to address some career-related items.  Nicole helped me discover the answers to questions I already knew the answers to, but didn't know how to reach deep inside to find.  And, while doing triathlons isn't exactly career-related, based on some exercises we did together, one of my homework items was to sign up for my first triathlon.


Over the course of the next few months, she would drop little hints about how animated I was when I talked about all this silly triathlon business.  And, after I posted pics on Facebook of IM Canada, she slyly commented, "So when are you doing yours?"  Dang....she is good!  She knew I was going to register for an IM before I knew!  


So over the past 18 months or so, we have built this friendship.  And, every conversation I have with her, whether it be through some official coaching capacity or via a friendly telephone call, she continues to enlighten me.  She manages to always put things in perspective for me; when I express frustration, she reminds me that not even a year ago, I hadn't even completed a sprint tri.  One day she commented how much the mind holds us back from doing things, but then once we do them, it's the mind that says, "Oh, that!  It was no big deal."  It's something I think about almost every weekend!


I'm pretty darn lucky to have a head coach, a swim coach, a bike coach, a run coach, a conditioning coach, and a few other coaches mixed in.  But, I'd say this career coach of mine is just as critical to my journey as all my team coaches.  Sure, maybe she isn't telling me what kind of swim drills to do or how many miles to run, but she did give me the tools I need to be empowered in all aspects of my life, including taking that first step to sign up.


This weekend I'll be competing in that first tri again (except I'll be doing the longer distance).  And, in recognition of that, I wanted to pay tribute to a very special person who encouraged me to take those first steps that then snowballed into such a copious undertaking.  So while this blog entry was intended to thank Nicole for playing such a pivotal role in my professional (and later personal) life, I realize it is only fitting that I also promote her and share her with all of you.  Whether you are questioning job fulfillment, considering a career change, or if you manage a team of people and you'd like help them build greater job fulfillment, check out www.thelinkedteam.com



1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jessica! Feels good to be acknowledged in such a generous way. You are my role model in many ways and I am glad to be your coach and friend.

    ReplyDelete