Friday, June 17, 2011

It All Started In Canada

Next weekend a few of my friends will be participating in Ironman Couer d'Alene.  I tried to make it work to be there for the race and be the best cheerleader I could be, but with my work and travel schedule, I just wasn't able to make it happen.  It got me thinking about IM Canada and how that was really the catalyst for me.  There is something magical about Penticton.  The cute town, the friendly people, the roadside fruit stands, the wineries, the mountains, and the beautiful lake make it nearly impossible to not fall in love with this little gem!  I danced and partied in the streets with Mason.  I got riders to clip out as they went by to show me their legs or to smack their asses.  

I found Robin on the bike with a very stern face as she climbed Yellow Lake and I finally got her to smile.  I made friends with an old lady who just got a kick over and over again at my signs. 

I was inspired by 81 year old men crossing the finish line.  I teared up at every participant that went past me with a prosthetic.  I felt the heartbreak and the anguish of Nick's teammates that did not make the bike or run cutoffs.  And, I was amazed at my boyfriend who got injured at Mile 1 and then proceeded to walk 25 miles and still managed to finish with 40 minutes to spare (I will be lucky if I end up having 4 minutes to spare).  

And, since I was thinking so much about Penticton tonight, I watched for the umpteenth time the 2010 official video.  It's 8 minutes, but it truly captures the day.  Seeing the final finisher just gets me every time.  Plus, there are a few shots of Kristie, Janice, and Phil on the bike and Helen and Mason in one of the crowd scenes. 

  

Tempe won't be magical like Penticton.  It's far from quaint.  And, there definitely aren't any roadside fruitstands or wineries on the Beeline.  But, I will get to pass Sun Devil Stadium 9 times. :)

3 comments:

  1. And because you get to pass Sun Devil Stadium 9 times, your wonderful memories will push you to finish with plenty more than 4 minutes to spare. You inspired me today! Thank you and I love you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This video was posted just a couple weeks before I did IM AZ the first time and I teared up watching it. It STILL gives me the chills almost 2 years later!
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/11/ironman-florida-finish-line-at-midnight.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Penticton...cutest little town, and understand the emotional connection to racers that you have never meet...what an amazing experience I had.....but I didn't have the courage like you to participate. I will always be the cheerleader and you are amazing for becoming the racer! love you...xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete