Sunday, June 19, 2011

Using The Secret to Get a Flat Tire

I've been a little concerned that I haven't gotten a flat tire yet while out on the road. I have gotten more comfortable with changing a flat, but every time I have changed one, it happened to be before we rode, or while sitting in my house, or during one of the boot camp or bike clinic trainings.


So I had a flat yesterday from what I assume was a bunch of grass and rocks I walked my bike through after Tri For Fun.  Since I was at home when I changed it, I tried to find the leak, repair it, and put it back in.  I had a flat again 5 minutes later so I went for a second round and changed out the tube.  My anxiety over dirty hands is why I don't like changing flats.  My teammate, Emily, has made it her signature look to take all the dirt and grease and rub it all over her face when she's done changing hers.  And, I actually think I would almost rather have it on my face than my hands for some illogical reason.    
Anyway, despite having dirty hands, I truly have been "asking" for a flat out on the road.  I don't want my first flat to be during Vineman or Ironman.  And, if I didn't get a flat before the race, I was going to blow through some C02 cartridges for practice.  Of course, because I have talked to several people about this over the past week, I put my request out there to the Universe and the Universe delivered.  I got my first flat today.  I was actually excited.  Thankfully, there was a shady spot across the street to change it. 


My first cartridge started leaking so I blew through that one.  Luckily, I figured out the trick for the second one and was able to get back in business.  But, not even 5 miles later, I felt something again!  This time I was super bummed because we were climbing Calaveras and I was doing really well on the climb and I didn't want to stop and break my mojo.  It was 90 degrees today.  I was sticky and had dead bugs all over me.  And, there was no shade.  But, I have no choice.  We pull over on the side of the road and this time Nick does major inspection of my tire pulling out all kinds of bits and pieces from the outside of the tire.


I changed my tire for the 4th time in two days and finish out the ride. And, when I got home, I decided it might be time for me to re-read The Secret and finish my vision board that I started, but never finished, a good six months ago!

1 comment:

  1. My dad carries a pair of rubber gloves for tire changing so his hands don't get dirty. I find a baby wipe in a ziploc bag works well too :)

    ReplyDelete