Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tri for Fun

For the past 24 years, On Your Mark Events has been hosting the the Tri For Fun series every summer at Shadow Cliffs in Pleasanton.  It is a sprint tri without a timing chip.  I ran two Tri For Funs last year and the Tri For Real (maybe 3/4 Olympic with a timing chip) because they were...fun.  Generally 50 percent of the people registered are doing their first triathlon.  More importantly, the event is made up of over 50 percent women.  When I was at Escape from Alcatraz a few weeks ago, I was disappointed at what a sausage fest it was.  This really is a male-dominated sport and I think the women come out for Tri For Fun because it's not competitive.  Anyway, you don't have to have a fancy bike, an aero helmet, or even a tri top.  People ride in their old or borrowed bikes, in bathing suits or t-shirts, and are just there to enjoy the day.  There is a clock at the finish, but it's not timed so they joke that you can go run wherever you like and no one would know but you.  

For the past year, I have been encouraging my dad to sign up with me.  I think he is a little reluctant about the open water swim.  Last weekend, we compromised and agreed we would sign up for 5K together.  I knew that if I just got him to the park, he would see how non-intimidating it was and that might change his mind.  So I proposed that he come out to the event and meet me on the run course, which just happens to be a 5K.

The swim went ok.  It was so short, I don't think I found my rhythm.  I was out of the water in 9 minutes and it only took me 3 minutes to transition (much better than last weekend).  The bike was only 11 miles (oh it feels so tiny) and I was done in 39 minutes.  Two minutes for transition and then I met Dad and we ran the course in 40 minutes, which was great for my pace since it is a hilly run.  Most importantly, this was the first time I had actual proof of my improvement over the past year.  Of course, I *know* I have improved, but this was tangible.  Last year, I would be ok with the swim and the bike and then all the women would pass me on the run (meaning I was at the tail end).  This year, men were passing me, too, which means despite their 5 or 10 minute head start in the waves, I closed the gap.  And, I even managed to pass a few men myself!  Plus, you can't argue a number on the clock with a 10 minute difference. 

So it was a good day for me and I got to spend some time with my dad for an early Father's Day and maybe he just might me for the whole thing later this summer or next.

No comments:

Post a Comment