Wednesday, August 24, 2011

And I Would Ride 1000 Miles

Sunday, when I was riding, I received a text message.  Shortly after I heard the ding ding of the phone, I noticed the bike computer went crazy.  After a few minutes, I realized the numbers look like 602.  I'm assuming there was some sort of interference from my phone.  I guess if my bike computer has to break, then having 602 permanently stuck on the face isn't so bad (in case you couldn't tell, this Sun Devil never let go of her AZ number)! :)




Prior to the Cateye representing the 6-0-2, it said it I had ridden more than 1000 miles on Ruby since March (and another 400 on Hank since November), which actually sounds low to me (how absurd is that?).  Since I mostly ride for time and do an awful lot of climbing, I guess it's about right.  Now that all my data seems to be wiped away from the computer, I got to thinking about how many beautiful and amazing places Hank the Tank and precious Ruby have taken me over the past 9 months such as:

1.  North and south the wide-shouldered Foothill Expwy as the gateway to routes in Cupertino, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Los Altos, Woodside, and Portola Valley.  


2.  Shedding a whole lot of tears up Palomares with THREE coaches riding behind me!



3.  Up Mt. Eden and around Stevens Creek Reservoir

4.  Overwhelmed at the thought of climbing Del Valle Rd and Mines Rd, which is hard enough as it is.  And, then add some snow!







5.  Tackling the Wildflower Long Course in the rain that came in all directions

6.  Finding fellow Sun Devil alums on the Tierra Bella organized ride through Gilroy, San Martin and around Uvas Reservoir

7.  Rolling through the unfamiliar towns of Pope Valley and Anguin, swearing for three of the four miles up Ink Grade, and then down to the quaint vineyards in Calistoga, St. Helena, and Yontville 




8.  The beautiful (yet scariest and windiest) ride from Santa Rosa out to the coast


9.  Up Mt. Diablo for the first time (one day I might actually make it to the top)! 




10. Passing through cute farms with those windmills I love, happy cows, and mini goats.


11. Climbing Mt. Veeder -- twice in one day!

12. Making it up "The Wall" at Clear Lake



13. Achieving my first century after a day I thought would never end

14. Enjoying the long straightaway of Canada Road in Woodside

15. Wondering if I could stop at every winery along the Silverado Trail

16. Adoring the old train in Sunol on the way to the top of Calaveras



17.  Completing my first official Olympic Distance event

18. Heat-training in Napa


19. Enduring my first IM bike distance at Vineman

20. Loving the tree-covered roads in Portola Valley




I've written individual entries on at least 80% of the rides detailed in this entry, but stringing them all together always puts things in perspective.  It makes me feel even more grateful to live in such a beautiful place.  I've cried when it hurt.  And when that happens I force myself to look around and take it all in.  I've cried when I thought I couldn't go any further.  And, I've cried because some of it is just so dang pretty.  So I feel pretty lucky that I get to enjoy Mother Nature this way.


And I would ride 1000 more.....     

No comments:

Post a Comment