Monday, August 22, 2011

The Ripple Effect

About two months ago, I wrote about how I have been encouraging my dad to think about doing a triathlon.  He's a fit guy.  He likes healthy activities.  And, something like a sprint tri would be pretty perfect for him.  I tried to get him to sign up for Tri for Fun last year and he made me a deal that he would do it in 2011.  However, he was still on the fence this year and he negotiated he would sign up for a run with me, but didn't want to do the tri.  OK, deal.  So I invited him to Tri for Fun to watch and suggested he run with me, since it is an open park.  After seeing the event, he decided he could do it, too (my whole intention of getting him there)!  So for the past two months, he has been swimming, and riding on a borrowed bike, and going for runs.  And, Steph, my my stepmom, has also been swimming laps. 


Last week, he said he was ready, but didn't want to do the swim and that Stephanie was willing to do the swim portion.  So they formed an unofficial relay and showed up on Saturday for their first Tri for Fun with over 1000 other people!  Steph reminded me that they were doing this because I inspired them.  It's easy for me to take a compliment about my wits.  And, sometimes I can take a compliment on my looks (unless a certain someone is throwing them at me when I'm disgustingly sweaty).  But, taking a compliment on inspiring someone else...that is really hard to accept.


Anyway, I was off to go in my wave and I wished Stephanie luck and reminded her that it would only be 15-20 minutes of her life and that it was ok to doggie paddle or breast stroke or do whatever she needed to get to the end.  I went into the start area and heard someone yell my name.  It was an AKPsi alum from UC Santa Barbara who I met at a Bay Area Alumni meeting last month.  I said hi to her, the horn blew, and we were off.  


I had a much better swim than last time and was out of the water 3 minutes faster, which just reaffirmed that I really had an off day on the swim in the last event (3 minutes is pretty significant for such a short distance).  My time was definitely in comparison to my times from last year and so I felt good that I was back on track.  I got out of T1 in under 3 minutes and had a nice ride.  It was super windy on the bike course and I just couldn't get the speed that I would normally get on those roads.  But, I didn't care because I was passing people.  A lot of people.  Typically, I am the one getting passed.  Of course, I knew they would all be passing me on the run, but that's ok.  Baby steps....


I got through T2 in two minutes.  I knew if I pushed it, I could get under 1:30, which would have been great for a back-of-the-packer like me.  I started the run, but was having significant foot pain that was shooting from my heel spur all the way to the tips of two middle toes.  Unfortunately, last Thursday night's run left me a very painful Friday.  The plantar fasciitis was on in full force.  I spent an hour at PT on Friday, but I just wasn't fully recovered.  As I was running and watching the clock, I finally told myself that I had nothing to prove to myself that day.  I was doing this to get my dad out there and not because I had some record to break.  My focus is to be injury-free for Arizona.  So I slowed my pace and finished the run without killing left foot.


I saw Steph on the way in, and my dad finished a few minutes later.  We stayed around to watch more finishers and caught a 74 year old man run in as well as some women that looked to be more like water aerobics-ers (you know...the suit, the visor, the age, etc.).  Dad then called my aunt.  I don't talk to her very often, but she reiterated to me how wonderful it was that I got Dad and Steph out there swimming laps, and riding bikes, and running.  Dad is thinking about the swim for next year.   And, after watching all those people come in, Steph said she would consider getting on the bike and walking the run next year.  There were some 8 year olds out on the course.  I think this would be perfect for my little sis, Maddie.  They kind of think she might like it, too.


And so the ripple effect begins....  Maybe next year all four of us will be registered!


Dad and I before the swim

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Tri for Funs are so fun and even better when the whole family can do it! My dad and I did our first triathlon together and then got a lot of other relatives hooked so I know where you're coming from!

    ReplyDelete