Monday, August 8, 2011

"You Are Amazing"

It's been just over a week now since Vineman.  By Tuesday I was back to normal.  I was pretty happy at how quickly my muscles recovered.  I did very little training this past week.  Our coach recommended some 30 minutes walks, 30 minute spins, etc. to help with our recovery.  What a great feeling to think I didn't workout that day and then remember that I actually had!


Mainly, the past week was somewhat reflective.  I relived a lot of last weekend each time a coworker, friend, or family member asked about how Vineman went.  Facebook produced a lot of "You are amazing" commentary.  I know that those exact words, "You are amazing" have come out of my mouth a multitude of times when I'm talking to other people.  And, when I say it to someone, I truly mean it.  However, when someone says it to me, I can't help but think, "Nah, it's no big deal."  If I could take a step back, I might think it's a big deal.  But, right now I'm seeing trees and not the forest.


My behavior is reminding me of conversation with Nicole when we discussed how the mind holds us back from so much and then once we do it, we really do not think anything of it.  At dinner tonight, a coworker commented, "That's an impressive way to spend your day."  Ummm....I guess so?  I don't know.  Those are my days these days.  I spend almost every Saturday and Sunday preparing for a workout, driving to a workout, doing the workout, and then recovering from the workout.  It may sound impressive to someone else (or absurd or certifiably insane), but at the moment, it's just my sense of normalcy.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how what sounded crazy a year or two ago becomes our new normal. What's a weekend without a couple hours driving, a long-ass ride, and some exhaustion?! :-) I rode Silverado Trail again this past Saturday BTW - nice day out there!

    Can't find you on Facebook but maybe you can find me (I'm the Uchicago one of the MMs).

    ReplyDelete