Monday, August 15, 2011

A Leisurely Weekend

What constitutes a perfect weekend?  For me it is a balance of socializing, being productive, and getting to relax.    


As I mentioned on Friday, I got my workout in (it's easy to skip Friday workouts as I'm sure you could imagine).  And, I had an official date night with Nick, (we don't get to go out as much as I'd like due to this early rise and shine business).  


On Saturday, we semi-fitted me for new pedals and met our friend, Andrew, for a ride through Mountain View, Los Altos, Palo Alto and Woodside.  It was so nice to leave from my house instead of drive somewhere.  The weather was gorgeous and so was the ride.  I didn't pass a single car for the 3 mile climb to the top of Alpine Rd and there was no wind up there.  The only things I could hear were my wheels spinning and a creek gurgling.  It was awesome.  I still had some foot pain, but I am convinced it is related to my plantar fasciitis and not the pedals.  Either way, I am sticking with the latest ones.  After the ride we went to dim sum (yum), ran a few errands (the productivity factor), and caught an early movie.


On Sunday, we drove up to SF for our celebration and send-off of the IM Canada and Louisville athletes.  I thought about not getting in the water.  I really hate swimming in the bay.  And, then I saw a seal.  


And, I got all excited so I decided to go in. Yes, I know that sharks eat seals.  But I'm not too worried about a shark in Aquatic Park. 


The current was so strong it felt like I was in an endless pool.  Jasmine and I did some drills with Coach Mike on swimming really close to each other, drafting, touching, feet-tickling, getting pushed down, etc. while still maintaining our strokes.  


After the swim, we did an hour run toward the bridge where I ran into my ex-boyfriend.  As a sidenote, I randomly ran into someone I knew at each of my workouts on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday!  



After a little bit of core...  

and some stretching...


...Tammy and I took a quick walk to Farmer's Market.  Then, the team went to lunch to celebrate our last team workout! 
Go Team!
A few of us ended up hanging out at Ghiradelli for a couple hours after lunch. It is always so crowded with tourists that I avoid it, but since we were right there and managed to get a table outside, it was perfect.   I thoroughly enjoyed my first ice cream from Ghiradelli.  And, it felt great to relax and hang out with friends and not feel some sort of time pressure to get home, pack and worry about a trip to LA, since I get to stay home this week!  Yay!


And, that is my perfect weekend -- training, productivity, fun, friends, (wine) and relaxation. 

2 comments:

  1. A very nice fun weekend! I enjoyed a bit of a rest week as well. Full speed ahead this week though, OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great weekend, Jessica!

    I read on a fitness blog that someone recommends using frozen golfballs for their plantar fasciitis. Sounds goofy - but I wonder if it helps?

    ReplyDelete