Sunday, July 31, 2011

128.4

Yesterday, I swam 2.4 miles, rode for 112 miles (over 5200 ft of climbing), and much to my surprise ended up running/shuffling/walking/encouraging a teammate for 14 miles.  


I will write a proper race report, but for now a few things:


The swim was not easy.  I did it.  I finished.  I didn't struggle.  But, I was reminded that I have neglected proper pool time for the past 9 months because it is the smallest part of the day and something that wasn't a priority to me (over biking and running).  


My transition was awful.  Since this wasn't my "A" race, I wasn't too concerned.  But, I had a lot of issues with all the dirt that now turned somewhat muddy from all the wet people running around (you'd think by now this dirty business wouldn't bother me so much).  So much time lost here.  So many lessons learned.  Again, I will jot them all down when I have more time.


The bike was a roller coaster.  I had an awesome first loop and came in under 4 hours.  The second loop was not as easy -- headwinds, severe foot pain, etc.  I missed the bike cutoff by 5 minutes.  I was devastated.  The child in me exclaimed it wasn't fair.  My swim wave was 21 minutes later than the start.  If I had been in the wave most of my teammates were in, I would have made the cutoff.  If the police hadn't left, I wouldn't have had to wait at red lights and stop at stop signs.  If the volunteer wasn't talking on her phone, she would have pointed me left instead of right.  If only I took one less bathroom break.  Or, if I would have just sat my ass down in the dirt in T1 (as Nick was yelling to me "Sit down!") instead of struggling trying to keep my balance and wash my feet and put shoes on.  So many "ifs".  Coach Mike reminded me that the women get screwed every year because of the wave bullshit.  He said I was where I needed to be.  This was training for me.  I knew he was right.  I still finished.  I still got a finisher's medal.  The only thing I don't have is a finish time next to my name on a website somewhere.  It eventually became an easy pill to swallow.  


During my pity party I wasn't sure if I was going to run (I was only signed up for the Aquabike so I was technically done for the day).  However, my goal was to run the first loop (8.7 miles) to get a feel for what it felt like after sitting on a bike for 8 hours.  Then I talked myself into going for 6 miles.  And, then I wasn't sure I was going to go at all.  But I got myself together and went out.  I ended up completing 14 miles.  A lot of it was walking with Dana who was having a tough day.  I learned a lot from this experience as well that I will write about.


I completed ~92% of an Ironman distance.  And, I raised over $6500 for LLS. There's nothing I can do, but feel good about what I accomplished yesterday. And, besides some wetsuit hickeys and sore muscles, I am recovering physically pretty well, too.

3 comments:

  1. I saw you coming in on the bike and cheered, I hope you heard me!!! You had a fantastic swim time (I am jealous) and you've still got time to work on it before AZ, where it will be a bigger, colder, and more crowded swim. If you rocked 112 on the bike on the Vineman course, you'll have no problem with AZ! And again, remember, still 4 months to train and this is where the big stuff comes in. And then you went out and ran that long - amazing!!! You should feel good about how things will go in November :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica - by now it might be boring to hear. AND: YOU ARE AMAZING! 92% holy shit! I can't believe you are so far already. 8 % is nothing, compared to what you already did. If there is any support I can give you, let me know. You are my heroine for sure and I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Jessica! You are amazing.
    Ericka

    ReplyDelete