Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Countdown has Begun

I have a feeling I might be writing quite a bit over the next few days as my mind is all over the place...just like this entry.


First off, I've been to the chiro twice this week.  I'm pretty messed up, which I could have guessed, and probably why I procrastinated in going.  Fortunately, my achy hip flexor is not actually my hip flexor.  It's the tendon that connects to the pelvic bone.  So I don't really have any muscle issues per se that are problematic.  I've got a plan to fix that.  And, everything else uncovered in my visit were already things I could have predicted (from all laptops and traveling and bike riding) -- tight neck and tight back.  The x-rays were also enlightening and illustrated how crooked I am in my hips and that my spine curves about 10-15 degrees further than it should.  Again, I'm sure this has been there for years based on poor posture, non-ergonomic working environments, heavy backpacks and suitcases, etc.


Secondly, I did my first barefoot shoe run the other night.  It was a spin workout and then only a 10 minute run.  Surprisingly, it actually felt really good to run in them.  I'm going to try it again this weekend with a more substantial distance.


Vineman is only 9 days away (single digits!).  I had a talk with the lovely Nicole Gruen today and she asked if I was scared or nervous or excited.  I'm not scared. I'm a little excited.  I'm sure I will have lots of nervous energy that day.  But right now I'm mainly nervous about getting my act together.  I still need to do my race plan.  And, I need to start packing.  That sounds ridiculous that I need to pack now.  But, I have two trainings this weekend; on Monday, I hop on a plane to LA and fly back Thursday night; and, then on Friday morning I have to drive up to Santa Rosa for check-in, athlete's meeting, and an inspiration dinner.  So, yes, I need to pack now.  But, really, I need to get my race and nutrition plan together.  It's all in my head.  I just have to write it down.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment