Monday, July 18, 2011

Taper Time

This past week was our first week of tapering.  It was a busy travel week so I was thankful for the recovery time and reduced training requirements.  There was some huge Microsoft convention in Los Angeles that booked up everything and I think I wasted 2-3 hours between Sunday and Monday trying to find a rental car and hotel room.  This also meant I had to check in/out of hotels as I could not get a single stay for 3 nights (I'd like to say I learned my lesson about procrastinating with travel arrangements, but I highly doubt it).  Monday I could barely move thanks to Sunday's run and why I have an appointment to finally see a chiropractor (tomorrow cannot come soon enough).  Tuesday we worked 7:30am to 9:30pm (not just that I chose to work late, but that we literally had meetings in Outlook scheduled all the way until 9:15pm).  Wednesday, I managed to get our run and core workout in.  And, Thursday, I flew to Salt Lake City because my amazing cousin, Matt, was having a special event on Friday about a story he wrote in Ethiopia that is getting published in a few weeks.  And, I got to spend some time with my best friend, who also lives in SLC.  I traded Friday's workout for Saturday and had to miss Saturday's OW swim since that wasn't exactly conducive while traveling.  But, knowing how important these short workouts are for the next two weeks, I flew home on Saturday night so that I could get an OW swim and bike ride in on Sunday.

We had a lot of laughs on Sunday about how "short" the workout was -- 1 hour swim and 20 mile bike ride -- and how absolutely absurd it feels to even talk that way.  The swim was choppy and I didn't wear a wetsuit, which just forced me to have to finish without stopping.  
Joking that we said we would swim in the lane lines if we finished in under an hour.
(which as you can see is not happening).

Just a small group of us today
Because Phil forgot his Garmin, he mostly rode with me so I could be his distance/timekeeper.  Since I'm usually riding by myself, it was a nice treat.  And, after getting every red light on the way back to town, we couldn't help but start singing Kanye's and Rihanna's "All of the Lights."  Note: the video supposedly causes epileptic seizures.  Who knew of such a thing?




No comments:

Post a Comment