Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Half My Life Back

What happens when it's over???  I can see how people get sucked in.  The video I shared the other day talks about how it's addictive and a drug.  It is so tempting to want to do it again and I haven't even done it yet!  But I have to remind myself how incredibly difficult this past year has been from a time management perspective and how many times I have had to say no to family and friends.  


It's been so inspiring to watch friends, teammates, fellow bloggers, etc. continue to improve in the sport.  For some, they now have four IMs under their belt.  Many of them are shaving multiple hours off of their time compared to their inaugural event.  It makes me think, "what if?"  But, then I bring myself back to reality and say, "but I want my life back."  


Since July, this ripple in a little pond has been growing bigger and bigger of teammates and acquaintances signing up for Ironman Couer d'Alene 2012.  And, now TNT is supporting a team as well.  It's the domino effect.  Once one falls, they all start falling.  I admit it is tempting until I think about training every weekend -- sacrificing weekend trips to see friends, to watch ASU football games, and make it to family events; the fact that I didn't celebrate my birthday with family until October (my birthday is in August); the AKPsi students I neglect (and am so thankful at how self sufficient they are); and the stress I create trying to train while on the road.  These are my reminders when I say, "but I want my life back."  


I've heard that you have to practice something for 10,000 hours before you become an expert.  Come November 20, I will only be just over 5% toward that number.  Can I do it again?  Yes.  But I really want my life back.  


And, then one day I said, "but I like this life.  I just don't want so much of it."  I had been sitting on the fence about training for a Half in 2012.  When I mentioned to my coach that I had decided to sign up, he asked me why, and I responded, "because I want half my life back."  He advised I would actually get more than half my life back because training for Ironman is more than just twice the distance.  Sounds like a deal to me.


Registration opens in two hours.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment