Wednesday, November 23, 2011

IMAZ Race Report - Good Morning

Rise and shine at 4am.  I hopped in the shower to wake up and clear the head.  We cooked breakfast in the dark by the red glow of a Coors Light neon sign that was still on from the night before (with three people passed out on air mattresses on the living room floor).


Left the house at 5am to head to transition. Unfortunately, nobody woke up, wished us luck or said goodbye to us. Maybe that was a good thing because I couldn't get emotional.  The college kids next door were still up from their night as we walked out of the house that morning.  Oh the irony.  
I dropped off my Special Needs bags, pumped my tires, put a few last minute things in both my bike and run bag and was done.  It was still too early to get dressed so I kind of just sat there staring at everything.  Fortunately, I did NOT have to use the bathroom and wait in that long ass line.  Both Sedonia and Dana were volunteers so they stopped by to say hi.  And, surprisingly, I was ok.  How could this be?  I'm about to start an Ironman and I didn't have a pit in a stomach!  What?!?!?!  My former TNT Head Coach, Mike, and Bike Coach, Lorraine, were volunteering as body markers.  I got bodymarked by Lorraine and gave her a huge hug and got a little emotional with her.  After all, she saw me struggle the most all season and I was finally here.


I put my wetsuit on and headed toward the water.  There were so many people trying to fit through that little area.  Any wet spot I saw on the dry ground, I knew meant someone just peed in their wetsuit.  Then a girl standing next to me did it and had to shake her booties out.  The guy behind me said, "Don't worry.  That's more sterile than Tempe Town Lake."  She was so embarrassed, but I told her she really just made us all laugh right before getting in the water.
I was still far from the gate when the cannon went off for the pros at 6:50am.  By the time I jumped in (yes, had to jump in), they yelled we had three minutes to get to the other side of the bridge.  

Are you kidding me?  So without over exerting myself, I rushed to the other side of bridge and found myself an open spot that was in the middle toward the embankment.  
I told myself to look around and take it all in.  So as I am still lollygagging and facing backwards at the bridge, the cannon went off (there was no countdown).  Oh crap!  I quickly turned around and started swimming.  I found this video on YouTube that gives an idea of what it was like.



Every time someone touched my feet I said, "they are pushing you forward."  I was pushed down, I was hit with watches, hit with timing chips, kicked in the side, etc.  But I knew that no one was doing it on purpose and I also knew that I was doing it to others.  So I managed to just ignore it.  I also realized that since I wasn't paying attention when the gun went off that I forgot to set my watch.  I really had no idea how long I had been in the water.  I assumed it was around five minutes, quickly started the watch and used the five minute padding to gauge my time.   The one thing about this swim was that every time I took a breath, there were people next to me.  It sure was not lonely.  

Near the turnaround I saw an Asian guy in a sleeveless wetsuit (not too many of those out there -- Asians, and sleeveless wetsuits, and Asians wearing sleeveless wetsuits).  I knew it wasn't Nick (he's way too fast), and thought it might be Phil.  Yes, it was!  2600 people in that water and I find Phil.  I hit him a bunch of times, until he realized I was doing it on purpose and finally looked up.  It was awesome getting that "Hi Jess" and smile in the water.


After the turnaround, it was a longer way home.  Mentally, I prepared myself to believe the turnaround was 1/3 of the way there.  The way back was definitely less crowded, but still people all around.  At that point, I noticed I had been singing Pearl Jam's "Just Breathe" pretty much the entire way.  Then it was time to turn left and I saw all the red TYR flags. It felt so great to see so many people around me.  I had a tough time getting out of those stairs again (you are disoriented after swimming for that long) and couldn't get my balance.  I probably had to wait about 15 seconds to get my wetsuit peeled because everyone was busy.  I saw the time said 1:39.  Woo hoo!  I wanted to be out in 1:40 and thought maybe it would be 1:45 after the practice swim. So I was really happy with the time. 


First I saw Mom, Natalie, and Julie.  I ran to give my mom a kiss.  I have dirt ALL over my face from that disgusting water and the goggles did a number on my eyes.

Next I saw Chrissy and her mom in the arches of the bridge.  
And, then I saw my dad and gave him a high five.  
I grabbed my bag and noticed all these people changing OUTSIDE.  Huh?  
So I ran into the Women's Change Tent.  MADHOUSE!!!!!  There were at least 85 women in there, clothing flying all around, no modesty (you really can't afford any), and it was swampy from all the moisture.  I snagged a girl's chair that just ran out.  Sedonia was volunteering in the tent so I yelled to her.  When she finished helping the girl she was with, she came over and helped me, which was so great to have a friendly face in there.

From there I walked to my bike and headed toward the exit.  First I saw my parents again, then I saw Shelley, my former co-worker, Chrissy and her mom, and then I saw Kerry with a bright pink sign for me!   It was so incredible to see all those faces coming out of T1.


And, now it was time to ride 112 miles.

***Thank you to Dad, Chrissy, Natalie, and Molly's fans for capturing such great pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment