Thursday, November 17, 2011

We Made It


Yesterday was our travel day.  We opted to drive because we are both racing (2 bikes, gear bags, etc.) and will be here for over a week.  It got off to a late start.  We were planning to leave from Nick’s house, but I had forgotten a few things at my house, including my camera.  I was going to make do without it, but my mom also had a few things she forgot to give us to bring down for her so we made two pit stops.  It was rush hour traffic.  And, even as the passenger, I was not happy (it took 75 minutes to get from his house to mine….ugh).  Anyway, it meant we did not get on the road “for reals” until almost 10am.  But, that gave us the opportunity to roll through Coalinga, CA right around lunch time, which is where Harris Ranch is located – stinky cows for a good mile and then the famous ranch, (which includes its own airport), for people to land their planes in just to get a delicious steak.  It was worth the hour stop.

Once we got to Blythe is when we started to see the bikes on racks on other cars.  "Hey, I know where you're going."

My parents have an extremely convenient condo right on the run course in Tempe.  However, getting stuff up to it, is not convenient with all the gates, elevators, etc.  We unloaded almost the entire car once we got here and shoved it all in the elevator.
3 gear bags, 2 clothes bags, 2 laptops, mini ice chest, 4 pillows, an air mattress, 2 banners, 4 poster boards, 2 cases of wine [some for my friends that bought wine in September (because you can’t ship wine to AZ), and the rest for Thanksgiving], a bag of food/drinks, a bag with all the bike nutrition, a box of frying pans for my mom, and a bag with a DVD player and funny movies to distract myself over the next 3 days.  Not pictured:  2 bikes

I woke up (much too early than I should have) to this beautiful view this morning.  The weather is looking better for Sunday morning.  I would be happy if it stayed just like this! 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, Jess! I will be rooting for you from home! :)

    ReplyDelete