Monday, January 16, 2012

Camp Crop-a-Lot

It's no coincidence that I haven't picked up my scrapbooking supplies (other than to make signs for Ironman) since January 3 of 2010. I signed up for my first triathlon on December 31, 2009, as a 2010 resolution.  But, it was time to bust out my pictures and books again.  I'm 2 years behind in a hobby that always "runs behind" as it is.  


Camp Hammer is a kid's camp in the Santa Cruz Mountains that repurposes itself to scrapbookers in the winter.  The kids aren't in camp during that time of year so 110 women invade with a good 50 lbs each of paper, adhesive, pictures, and cutting machines.  We sleep in bunk beds.  The staff cooks for us.  Massage therapists are brought in.  And, people work on their albums until the wee hours of the morning.  I admit I was not feeling ready to go there, but as soon as I arrived I felt like I was coming home.  It's so peaceful there and the weather was amazing last weekend.  And, I hadn't seen a few of these friends since January of 2010.  


I was one of the last ones to arrive and my friends joked that we were at the "first" cabin on the right.  True statement.  But this cabin was way way way way way up a hill (and to the right).  A few of the girls strategically planned their day based on only going up and down that hill once.  Since I had been so bad about my workouts, I looked at it as an opportunity to go anaerobic a few times a day.  This is the view from our cabin looking down.  It doesn't look too steep, but it was.  The two girls at the bottom were only about halfway down the hill.  If we came up in the middle of the night, we stood on the platform outside the room to catch our breath so we wouldn't wake anyone up inside with our heavy breathing!



And this is the view from the bottom of the hill.  Really beautiful.  Again, the picture just makes it look flat.  Which it definitely was not!




Sitting for hours on end makes me stir crazy so we generally go for a hike on Saturday.  I had a strength/core workout on the calendar and told my friends I would be doing 45 minutes the next morning hoping someone would bite.  Thank goodness, Elizabeth did.  On Saturday morning, we did 45 minutes of core.  I think I was shaking for a good 30 minutes after.  And, by Sunday morning, I cringed every step I took downhill.  I also got in an hour long hike.  


Although it wasn't a swim/bike/run, I felt good that I at least did something productive.  As for my scrapbooking skills, they are a little rusty and I went slower than I wanted as it took me awhile to find my groove.  But I finished more than half of my Argentina trip.  Last weekend reminded me how therapeutic scrapbooking is for me and reminded me to do little bits when I can and not to take two years off again!  I will be searching for balance....

1 comment:

  1. When you do your lower abdominal exercise workouts, such as the classic sit-up and crunches. This will reduce the base support, and more muscles will be put to work.

    ReplyDelete