Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Trying to Remotivate

I'm behind in my blogging because there isn't really anything to report other than I feel so damn unmotivated right now (I like to say that statement to the tune of TLC's Unpretty).  I've been analyzing over the "why" and it probably comes down to 2 (ok really 3) things:


1)  I'm tired of swim/bike/run.  I'm tired of regimen.  I am not burned out on swim/bike/run, I just want to do other stuff, too, like yoga, hike, hip hop, zumba, general gym time, etc.  But instead of being productive and doing those other activities, I am not doing anything because I can't mentally get over the hump of not wanting to swim/bike/run.  It's really backwards, I know.  It's a psychiatrist's playground about how our brains hold us back for really asinine reasons sometimes.


2)  I'm not afraid.  A lot of motivation for training comes from fear of having a bad day.  Training for an Olympic after coming off an Ironman doesn't light a fire under me.  Yes, it will hurt on April 1.  Yes, I may not feel good.  But I know I can do it.  As evidenced by Ironman, there was the possibility that I wouldn't do it in time, which motivated me to complete my workouts.  For Olympic, maybe I will be 10 minutes slower than I want.  Perhaps one day the time will motivate me, but I'm not there yet.  I'm still new at this and it's still about the accomplishment.   But in all seriousness, I truly hope fear sets in really soon and changes things. 


3)  Life changes.  Unrelated to this whole training business, I have very very big life changes ahead.  Good life changes.  It's exciting.  But there is a sense of loss as well.  My cute house.  The South Bay.  My travel routine.  My gym.  I have to move.  Refinance my house.  Find renters.  Become a landlord.  Co-mingle some finances.  Plan a kickass party.  Change a name.  I will have to find new shopping malls and eventually a new doctor, a dentist, and hair stylist.  No, I don't need to find those things now, and I don't really even need to after I move, but at a certain point, I really am not going to want to drive 80 miles round trip for a 27 minute teeth cleaning.


1 and 2 are easily fixable.  One of the easiest things I can do to fix it is find others to play with!  Since I was in town last week, I was able to finally make it to Coach Dave's spin class at Sports Basement.  

I got my ass kicked.  But I walked away feeling really great because I saw tremendous improvement in my fitness and sustained cadence since my old Ironteam workouts.  Coach Dave's spin workouts really paid off those 3 months before Ironman and this workout gave me the proof (despite being "off" the whole month of December).


Number 3 is a different story.  I just have to make lots of lists and prioritize and sequence and figure out what needs to get done first.  Last year the Ironteam calendar was daunting.  Phil advised me over a year ago that I couldn't look at the entire calendar and to only focus on what's in front of me.  Nick always told me to just look one week at a time, otherwise I would get overwhelmed.  So part of the solution to #3 is creating that calendar and putting my Toodledo (one of my favorite websites) on steroids.  And start managing it week by week.  I'm hoping that being more organized will get me out of my analysis paralysis mode which seems to have bled into my training schedule.



No comments:

Post a Comment